Wednesday, June 14, 2006

update on surgery

Hi all,
Today I had an appointment with my neurosurgeon. We discussed the two options of surgery to treat the aneurysm on the left side of my brain. The option I chose was to go through the artery with a micro something-or-other. They will take it up into my brain and fill the aneurysm with a coil. The coil is a long hair like wire that will fill the aneurysm so that the blood will pass right on by. The longevity of the coil is unknown but because my aneurysm has a thin neck the chances of the coil staying put is good as apposed to a wide necked aneurysm (picture a small upside-down bottle connected to the vain compared to an open aluminum can).

Surgery is scheduled for Monday. I will be staying 24 to 36 hours at the hospital but should be able to get back to a normal life a week from. The doc said I can do anything I want but smoke. I didn’t tell him that I was addicted to caffeine not smocking:) That means that I will be able to drive, fly, get work, and get back to a normal life. I will have to go in for an angiogram every three years for the rest of my life. Not excited about that but things could be worse.

We also learned that only 50% survive an aneurysm leak in the brain as I did in March. The surgery will prevent a second which has only a 15% survival rate. Prays the Lord that he is not a God of odds.

I am trying to go with the flow. Emotions are a bit scattered. Not real excited but glad to be in good hands. Thanks so much for your continued prayers, without them I would be in a world of hurtin’.

Love you all,
Tim

8 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

Tim,

I just prayed for you. I'm sorry to hear that you have to go in for surgery. I'm trusting God for His continued healing and care for you as you undergo this procedure.

In Christ,
Jon

4:26 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Tim,
We are so thankful that our prayers were answered back when this all started! We are also glad that you are getting some good solid answers finally and it sounds like the doctors are optomistic about the outcome! We will be praying for you on Monday and until then that you will be able to rest and not think too much about what is to come.
On other things. The girls and I had fun with you at the beach. What a special time for Lindsay and her uncle Tim to be playing in the Sand.

Love you,
Katie, Lindsay and Leslie

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim, so good to hear that the light at the end of the tunnel is near - how great it will be for you to get back to a normal life again. I know surgery is no fun but I'm so thankful they are able to it the way they are - God will be watching over you - so in the meantime I will be praying for peace of mind and calmness and complete rest in HIM as you wait. Keep looking up and remember there are tons of people pryaing for you in Indiana. Love you tons. Aunt Chris and Uncle Mike

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim,
It's so good to hear that a "normal" life is getting close. We prayed for wisdom for your Dr. this morning and are excited to see answered prayer already. We will now pray that next week goes smoothly.
Thanks for spending time with Peyton yesterday. The Peyton and Brooke kept referring to you as "Uncle Tim" when we got home last night as they were telling Mike about all of the fun things we did at the beach. You are very special to us.
Your friends,
The Grahams

8:47 PM  
Blogger Bruce Bauslaugh said...

Tim,

We've been praying for you and have others doing the same. Looking forward to seeing you next month.

Bruce

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing how God works; leading us where we need to be, even to a blog site. I havn't checked in to read the messages from you in a while now, but just as I was going to shut the computer down I felt like I should check to see how things were going. God was leading me to be in prayer. We serve an awesome God.
God Bless and know that God is in control and is watching over you always

Sheralyn
Edmonton, AB (Taylor)

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Michelle said...

tim, we're still praying hardcore. I didnt really know you that well but i decided to keep checking your blog and im so glad i did. im still praying for you and my entire church in TOfield is praying for you and your surgery on monday. God Bless and keep us posted!
Michelle Van Herk

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim,
Continuing to pray for you brother. "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" May you be overwhelmed by His peace in the next few days to come.
In Christ,
Amber

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home